Friday, November 9, 2012

The vote rocked!

This is not a political post. So you can calm down. This blog doesn't deal in such heavy shit. Well, besides my heavy ass. This is about my voting experience at the polls on Tuesday.

I walked into my old elementary school to vote. This is the first time I have been inside it since I was in middle school. So about ten years have passed. (just let me) I always think it is so weird to go back to a childhood place only to see how much smaller it is. Your perception is all out of wack. You feel like Gulliver surrounded by the town of Liliput. In my minds eye, the tiles on the wall were supposed to be at my nose, not my waist. I got me thinking about how I view myself during this weight loss process.

I have touched on this before on my blog. I dont see myself any differently then I did 200 pounds ago. Well 216, but who is counting? Oh thats right, ME! I am still the pear shaped  unloveable behemoth that was so fat he couldnt fly on an airplane. Sitting in a theater seat was a battle of my love for theater versus my tolerance for pain as the arm bars dug into my hips. I would have bruises on my legs for days. I dont talk about that often because the bruising on my ego is still there. Clearly. The shame you feel when you bump a table when you are trying to squeeze through to your seat, when they have to move the table so you can sit at a booth. The glances of disappointment when you request a table with chairs because everyone else wants a booth. It still freaks me out when I go to a diner. I assume I cant fit. This all stays with me. It haunts me.

This is why I encourage everyone to be honest and tell people if they look like they have lost weight. We see ourselves everyday and the loss is lost on our eyes. So... what does this have to do with voting? I walked up to the sweet old ladies at the polling station. I had forgotten my voter registration card. The lady asked to see my ID. I gave her my license. She asked me my address. Standard fair. But then she kept looking at me and then down at the license. She didn't believe I was me! I told her that I had lost quite a bit of weight and she said " You sure did!" She then proceeded to show my license to the other workers. They were all floored. It is moments like that which make it all worth it. The ghosts of my past are haunting me less and less. Eventually they will be gone.  I hope.

1 comment: