Wednesday, November 10, 2010

RED ALERT!!! RED ALERT!!!!



I almost had a full blown defcon 5 melt down at the gym today! I weighed myself when I got there and I had only lost 1 pound in a whole week. I was so demoralized! I count everything that I eat and drink. I chart all of my activity. I count calories and what not. This was not the jump start I wanted. Talk about sucking the wind out of your sails!

I begrudgingly shuffled to the weight room looking like a Zoloft commercial. Scuffling my feet like a child who just had their Halloween candy taken away. If there were rocks on the ground, I would have been kicking them. I was having enough trouble gathering the wherewithal to make it to the gym as it was. And now THIS?

So I went and lifted weights. There was a glimmer of hope today. I am seeing a lot of strength gains, which is awesome. I it feels nice to move up to a higher weight in that aspect! So I really pushed through and maxed out to what hot jocks call "total muscle failure". Couldn't they come up with a more pleasant term than that? I mean really... "total failure" is something you usually try to avoid, unless you are a politician.

So it was off to the pool for some sprints and a leg workout. I am trying to change up my routine so I do sprints and weights 3 days and swim a mile on the other 2. Anyway, so I was talking to a lifeguard who noticed I looked, let's just say... despondent. I told him about the scale fiasco and he asked me if I had zeroed the scale. I HADN'T. I mean... the thing looks so expensive it could clone humans. I didn't think it was an issue. The lifeguard said, "Like... TOTALLY!" ( He is a lifeguard ). So I went in after my workout and tared the scale and low and behold I had lost 6.5 pounds! And yes I drink water the whole time so it is not water weight Negative Nancy!

3 comments:

Alanda said...

Man, you are totally inspiring me. My workour routine is currently in shambles. Once I get back in shape, I'm coming down to Richmond and forcing you to take a spin class with me.

Unknown said...

don't always judge based on the scale numbers...measure yourself around arms, waist, legs. Sometimes you've lost inches but gained muscle and the scale hides that from you! No need to lose the wind in your sails if you're doing better than that scales wants to tell you!

High Five Yo!

Unknown said...

awesome job, Kenny! So proud of you for challenging yourself - I was thinking of you this morning as my insane gym instructor tortured my shoulders (I never knew there were so many ways to burn out your shoulder muscles!). Keep pushing ahead - you'll continue to feel better and better!
hugs :)